Sunday, November 22, 2009

TweetDeck and Other Twitter Apps

As someone who regularly uses Twitter (yet doesn't actually tweet all that much), some may find it odd that I rarely, if ever, actually visit Twitter.com. While I have nothing against Twitter's website per say, I do find that user an application for my Twitter viewing is much better. I've tried many (and given them a fair shake) desktop apps ranging from Tweetie to twhirl to Twitterrific to TweetDeck and on the iPhone, I've tried TweetDeck and TwitterFon.

By far, my favorite, on both platforms, is TweetDeck. The layout is simple and user-friendly. It's a full featured app that is powerful yet accessible. It's easy to navigate, easy to pick up yet easy to utilize to its full potential.

I do find it interesting that there is such a proliferation of Twitter Apps readily available for free use. Unlike the other major social networks, such as Facebook or MySpace, Twitter Apps have thrived to the point that I'm not sure I know of any of my friends who actually utilize Twitter by going to the service's actual website. The app experience allows your feed to be open all the time, running in the background, allowing quick access for checking Twitter whenever you want without having to visit the site. I guess I've become the de-facto app guy for the class so it probably doesn't come as a surprise that I support and use an app for this but in this case, the app geniunely makes a Twitter experience easier and more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment