Sunday, November 8, 2009

Election Day

Colin asked us to post a diary of sorts for our Election Day experiences. Sorry it's alittle late but here goes:

My designated voting spot is at a local elementary school so around 6:00, prior to picking up some dinner, I headed over to cast my vote in the (rather/sorta/kinda meaningless) local election. Upon arriving, a few people were standing holding campaign signs for different candidates. There was one (rather surly) man standing with a series of Republican signs and a couple harping for the Dems. The Republican rep gave me a gruff hello as I walked by, while the Democrats, who were too involved in a conversation, didn't acknowledge my walking by. As a proudly register Democrat, I felt a warm stirring of brotherhood.

I entered the building and headed down a long hallway, decorated with art from the students. As I neared the gym (where the voting was held), there were a series of large standing racks lining the wall, with a raffle sign up near by. Having attended this elementary school as a kid, I knew the deal with this (it's something of a ritual) and past by without checking out the goods. I was on a mission! The gym was nearly empty, save for the poll workers and a straggling voter who seemed confused by the ballot system (what else is new). I went to my designated table (organized by the first letter of your street address), gave my address and name to the older lady behind the table, flashed my ID and was ordered to another table to pick up my ballot.

I picked up the paper ballot and headed to the designated voting spot, which reminded me of a Jeopardy set-up with dividers between each voter. I was slightly disappointed that A) I couldn't cheat off the elderly woman next to me; B) it wasn't the massive voting machine I used to crowd in with my parents when I was younger when they went to vote (the ones where you pulled the massive lever to shut the curtain, almost giving the sensation of playing the slots?). The past 4 or 5 times that I've voted, I've had to use the paper ballots and it's never been quite as satisfying. I cast my (rather predictable) votes and headed to hand in my ballot. The teenager sitting next to the machine, who seemed really pissed off that she was there, instructed me that it didn't matter which side was up. I slid the ballot in, the machine made a whirring sound, followed by a harmless thud and it was done. I quickly exited the building, excited to pick up my pizza and headed home.

Not the most exciting experience in the world but I have trouble getting pumped for the Town Council and Board of Ed. elections. Don't quite have the same nerve-rattling tension of a good Presidential race.

No comments:

Post a Comment